Sunday, August 5, 2012

Removing the Fridge (Day 3)

Okay so I came back to work on the fridge and see if I can't get it out. Before I got started though I noticed something in the storage area in the back:


This is good. Some nice stands to help keep the trailer from wobbling back and forth! Got those set up and it made a huge difference. Okay let's go inside now:

Last week I broke the hammer I was using. Brought a better one this time to get to work. I'd been having a lot of trouble figuring out what was holding the fridge in, so I decided to try a different tactic and get the heat pump out from underneath first. As you can see- there was a lot of wood breaking involved.

Humm? I'll have to research this heat pump more. I know the fridge was made by Magnavox.



Okay, so I got it out- pretty simple actually it wasn't in there all that much. Now to move on to the fridge itself.



The fridge really didn't want to come out. I realized as I was tugging on it that I was also tugging on the vent pipe for the black water tank. I decided to step back and reassess how I was doing this. I'd like to avoid screwing up the plumbing if possible.

Okay I eventually got the fridge out! See that platform on the left? It was bolted into it, and I ended up taking a chisel to it to break the nuts off. There's a hole in the platform which the vent pipe runs through and that's why I was tugging on it when trying to get the fridge out. Doesn't look like I hurt it.

So what do the fridge and heat pump look like uninstalled?

Heat pump:

Fridge:
(clicking on the photos will make them bigger)



The heat pump may still work. The fridge though...nah...I don't know, it might be useful for something else, but that's another project I just don't feel like working on right now.

 So I was pretty tired after this. It's damn hot outside and I was wearing protective gear to save my eyes and lungs. Here is what an exhausted me looks like:

Yeah, sweat everywhere. I'm done for the day. Time to clean up!



Filled about 2.5 contractor bags full of crap wood. Now you can see the inside without the Stove/Fridge/Heatpump



Ugh, look at all those vent holes. I decided to cover them with plastic bags. I also looked and found a top vent I'm very unhappy to see:

It's falling apart, and I'm not going to be surprised if water isn't coming in through it. Regardless...it's gonna get filled in for sure.

 I took a quick peek in the wall a ceiling. insulation is TERRIBLE. For another day though! 


Plan for next week: Get the sink out and the rest of the cabinets around it. Probably start removing the wall there and parts of the ceiling to take out the insulation. 

Progress is decent. I should spend more time on this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment